Friday, September 23, 2011

Whatever, to the 10th power

I have always had a tough time with math, but I do understand the concept of exponents. The best example I have found recently is my dear hubby and his determination to heal and get stronger. His strength and abilities are mounting exponentially. When Scott was here, he encouraged me to let his dad do whatever he could for himself. Brian said the same thing when I talked to him on the phone, so I’ve had my sons’ voices in my ear as I have really tried (sometimes unsuccessfully) to hold back and let T accomplish a variety of tasks with one hand. As I look him over, he’s pretty battered. There’s the right side of his face with lots of stitches, the left arm in a splint, and the right leg quite wounded. Part of me wants to wait on him at all times, but that wouldn’t help him recover. Just the way he walked for hours while in the hospital, so he has done his best to take care of himself. I’m still allowed to hold the hair dryer in place while he fixes his hair. Yes, that was humorous sarcasm. ☺

Today was a big one. We decided to go out to lunch for a change, and T drove the car! One eye, one hand, one sore leg, but he can still maneuver a vehicle far better than I can.

Next, I dropped him at MD Anderson and came back to the hotel to finish grading papers. Now before you think I’m a terrible wife, he went there for a haircut. MDA has a free salon for their patients, and T was looking quite shaggy. While at the salon, he also got a shave, explaining to the lady helping him that he had forgotten the charge cord for his electric razor. Just so happened, she had an extra one and gave it to him. So sweet! His hair is pretty short but that may be a good thing. Hopefully he’ll be healed up before it’s time for another cut.

After I picked him up, we headed to the mall to look at slippers that were on sale at JCP. You may remember that his previous pair fell victim to the great blood blister! Beside that, they were at least ten years old and needed to be replaced. We didn’t find what we wanted but did some walking so it wasn’t wasted. Arriving back at the hotel, we rested for a bit, then T went out for a walk around the neighborhood – by himself.

Monday is going to be a long day but we will get through it. Being confined for four + hours on the plane is not going to be easy, but arriving home will be a sweet reward. And then, look out – it’s going to be hard to make the man pace himself. But that’s the guy I married, and I am so thankful for his determination and commitment to doing whatever it takes to get on with his life.

No comments:

Post a Comment