Thursday, September 15, 2011

Mid-day report

It looks like we have the big plastic surgery going on. I am not positive, but I know that they took a flap from T's forearm (left) and are using it to mend the wound created by the surgery. The fellow is closing the arm wound while the plastic surgeon is using the microscope to attach blood vessels. This results in a hospital stay of some length. I think I am dealing with this much better since I know there is no evidence of cancer in that nerve. The sacrifice will involve some time but not with dread about what is to follow. 

All around us are people who are hearing less than happy news. One could ask the question, why does one family get good news while another leaves the room sobbing? We try to share hope through our discussions as so many listen in to what is said. Earlier today, we met a family of ladies, waiting on dad/husband who is having surgery, and had a praise session over God's goodness in the midst of these types of situations. Then my friend, Carmen, came and had lunch with us, and stayed for the initial afternoon report. A short time ago, we chatted with an older lady who is a first grade teacher. I guess she has some real rowdies this year, while I was able to know that my sub would have a wonderful time with my students. That brings joy.

Just moments ago, our dear Dr. Esmaeli came to visit with us. She believes that we have received the best results possible, even with the forearm flap that had to be done. We will still need to wait on an ultimate pathology report for that entire section to determine whether he needs radiation or not, but they do know that the immediate area was clean. The best news is that in spite of the need to take a bit of the infra-orbital nerve for testing, T's smile will be intact. He was concerned about that (because of the grandkids) and I guess I was too. 

The road ahead is not without difficulty. There will be a recovery time for this flap; it needs to have good blood flow. He needs to be up, walking and eating before they consider releasing him from the hospital. However, knowing him as I do, he'll push himself so he can go home and get back to his family and students. Throughout the day, I have been aware of the prayer power surrounding us. Your love, faithfulness, and support are so encouraging. Thank you for being the family of God for us in this time. We feel so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment